Manners When Reading The Qur’an
6 Manners Of The Heart For Reading The Holy Quran
1. UNDERSTANDING OF THE ORIGIN OF THE WORDS
This is an indication of the greatness of the words being read, and the bounty of Allah; Glorified is He, to His creation when He addressed His creation with these words.
2. PUTTING INTO THE HEART THE UNDERSTANDING THAT THESE ARE NOT THE WORDS OF MAN
Through this, the reader should think about the characteristics of Allah the Exalted.
3. PRESENCE OF THE HEART WHILE READING
Through this, the reader should throw away other thoughts while reading the Qur’an.
4. PONDERING THE MEANING
There is less reward in reciting the Qur’an without understanding the meaning. The Qur’an was revealed for guidance and this can be achieved through recitation accompanied with pondering.
5. UNDERSTANDING THE MEANING
This means interacting and reacting to every verse according to what is proper for it.
This means that the reader feels that every message in the Qur’an is meant especially for him personally.
8 External Manners For Reading The Holy Quran
- Purity of body, clothes and place.
- Using Miswak or Sewak.
- Facing the Qiblah.
- Seeking refuge from rejected Satan and reading the Bismillah or Basmalah.
- Not reading when yawning.
- Avoiding cutting off reading to talk with people.
- Stopping at a verse of warning and seeking protection with Allah, and stopping at a verse of mercy and asking The Merciful for His Bounty.
- Humbleness and crying when reading.
Imam An-Nawwawi (may Allah be Merciful to him) said;
“Crying when reading the Qur’an is a characteristic of those who know Allah (know Him through His names and Characteristics) and the feelings of the righteous.”